- Health Care Law
- Corporate and Business Law including Tax Exempt Entities
Nick Healey has experience representing and advising a wide variety of businesses. His primary practice focus is on the health care industry; his diverse health care clients range from Wyoming and out-of-state medical institutions and organizations, to national medical device manufacturers and health care providers. Nick has garnered significant knowledge of and experience with Wyoming and federal health care laws and regulations and is a sought-after speaker for health care organizations. He has been with DDRH since 2002 and became a partner in 2005.
Nick also has an active practice in representing companies in business formation and contracting, financing, and mergers, as well as resolving and litigating disputes. He is one of the few lawyers in Wyoming with significant experience conducting private securities offerings under Regulation D of the Federal Securities Act of 1933. Nick has assisted companies as diverse as pet food manufacturers, ambulatory surgery centers and oil and gas partnerships in raising start-up and operating capital, under Rules 504, 505 and 506 of Regulation D.
Nick is originally from Newfoundland, Canada. While studying abroad in Scotland, he met his wife, a Wyoming native who is now a veterinarian. After several years of practicing law in Oklahoma, he chose to return to Wyoming to practice law, and he has been a member of the DDRH team ever since.
Notable Experience, Projects and Cases
- Advised several hospital medical staffs (both acute care and critical access) regarding comprehensive revisions to their medical staff bylaws to comply with Wyoming hospital licensing regulations, Medicare Conditions of Participation and Joint Commission standards.
- Advised out-of-state weight loss clinic seeking to establish a clinic in Wyoming on obtaining a favorable position statement from the Wyoming Board of Medicine on the clinic’s weight loss medicine regimen.
- Regularly advises health care providers such as hospitals, physician groups, diagnostic testing companies, nursing facilities, rural health clinics, ambulatory surgery centers, and pharmacies on various health care laws and regulations such as HIPAA, the Wyoming Hospital Records Act, Medicare/Medicaid regulatory compliance, Medicare/Medicaid “fraud and abuse”.
- Regularly represents physicians before the Wyoming Board of Medicine.
- Defended a national pharmaceutical provider in Wyoming Medicaid termination action.
- Advised hospital on setting up a wholly-owned multi-specialty physician group subsidiary, and advised hospital on integrating numerous independent physician groups into a multi-specialty group. Conversely, also represented a multi-specialty physician group on integration with a hospital.
- Served as outside general counsel for large and mid-sized hospitals, Wyoming Medical Society and as outside legal counsel for Wyoming’s designated health information exchange.
- Advises on numerous private securities offerings for start-up oil and gas partnerships.
- Advised a start-up medical device manufacturer on compliance programs.
- Assisted numerous small businesses and nonprofit organizations with organizational and standard business documents, including tax-exemption application.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
Wyoming Medical Society
- “IPA’s: Not just a stiff drink” and the second presentation was titled “Here Be Monsters: Physician Employment Contracts”
- “The Shortest Distance Between Physicians and Patients” 2015
- “What a Physician Can Say About Marijuana” 2015
- “Here Be Monsters: Physician Employment Contracting for the Employer and the Employed” 2014
- “Physician Supervision of CRNA’s Under Medicare Regulations and Wy. Law” 2013
- “Setting a place for patient safety at the tort reform table” 2012
- “Made for Wyoming: The Stark Laws – Rural Provider Exception” 2011
- “EHR an introduction to Electronic Health Records, Meaningful Use and Practical Implications for Physicians” 2011
- “Hidden Gems: Congress Proposes to Loosen Beneficiary Inducement Laws” 2010
- “Negotiating Reimbursement in a Payor Contract; Not Mission Impossible, and You Should Choose to Accept It” 2010
American Health Lawyers Association
- 50 State Survey of Corporate Practice of Medicine Laws (Wyoming) 2013
- 50 State Survey of Health Care Fraud and Abuse Laws 2008, 2012
- 50 State Survey of Balance Billing Laws 2006
- “Emerging Healthcare Information Technologies and the Legal Challenges They Present”, October 2013 (with Paul DeMuro)
Selected Speaking Engagements
Wyoming State Bar
- Teleconference on “Wyoming and the Affordable Care Act: What every Wyoming lawyer advising and/or representing employers, consumers, and health care providers should know about health care reform“
Wyoming Patient Safety Summit
- “Wyoming’s ‘Medical Apology’ Statute: I’m Sorry, But for What?” 2012
- “Patient Safety Organizations, History and Future in Wyoming” 2012
Wyoming Association of Medical Staff Services
- “Life Cycle of the (Hospital Employed) Physician” 2013
- “Breaking the Code: ‘Code Words in Medical Staff Credentialing” 2013
- “You Can’t Always Get What You Want: Managing the Flow of Information during Credentialing” 2012
Wyoming Hospital Association
- “Taking the Bull by the Horns: The Board’s Role in Quality of Care”2012
- “Hospital Compliance Programs: A Way of Life” 2007
Wyoming State Bar–“Wyoming and the Affordable Care Act” Annual Meeting 2013
Wyoming Critical Access Network–“340B Drug Program from the Wyoming Perspective”,Webinar 2013
Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Bank–“Managing Risk When Families Oppose the Donor Registry,” Webinar 2012
Licensed to practice law in:
All Wyoming State, Federal and District Courts; Colorado and Idaho State Courts
Previously licensed to practice law in Oklahoma
Wyoming State Bar Association–Co-chair of the Health Law Section
American Health Lawyers Association
American Bar Association–Health Law Section
American Society of Medical Association Counsel
Ewing T. Kerr Chapter, American Inns of Court
J.D., University of Wyoming College of Law–Order of the Barristers
B.A., Hons., Acadia University in Nova Scotia, Canada–Political Science
Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors–Action and Advocacy Committee
News and Recognition
For more information on Nick Healey’s recent professional activities visit the News and Recognition page.
To view Nick’s Martindale-Hubbell profile page, click: http://www.martindale.com/Nicholas-G-J-Healey/1480483-lawyer.htm